jump to navigation

`Uncle, what is red salute?’ — Naxals kidnap girls March 27, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
1 comment so far

`Uncle, what is red salute?’

By Our Special Correspondent ( The Hindu)

SHIMOGA, MARCH 26. “Uncle what is red salute?” This was the innocent
question posed 14-year-old Aruna of Bangalore to presspersons at the Kote
police station here on Friday night soon after she was restored to her
parents.

Aruna, who was allegedly abducted in Bangalore on February 28 by an
activist of Mahila Jagruthi from Shimoga, said she had a harrowing
experience during her detention for nearly a month here.

“They used to ask me to make the red salute. And they were always
uttering the words `revolution.’ But as a seventh standard girl I could not
understand the words they were talking about. Somehow I managed to get
out of their clutches,” she said.

“Shobha aunty, who brought me here, used to beat me sometimes, but
Anita (another activist of the organisation who has been arrested in
connection with the girl’s alleged abduction) treated me well,” she said.

“I was brought to Shimoga by train on February 28. By the time I came
to know where I was headed, I had reached Shimoga. I tried to contact my
father one or two times on his mobile phone but in vain,” she said,
virtually in tears.

“I was taken to Gadag and Bellary during my stay in Shimoga to attend
the birthday of a person who is not known to me. I even tried to contact
my parents on the phone from those places, but it was not possible as I
was not left alone there. It was quite a humiliating experience.”

At one stage, she said, she was threatened that her parents would be in
trouble if she did not obey orders. “This threat forced me to do what
they told me to do.”

When she was brought to the police station last night, it was midnight.

Her father, a driver with the KSRTC, was too dazed to answer queries.
“If you have anything to ask, talk to my daughter,” he said

Advertisements

Andhra police chief rules out ban on Naxals March 26, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

T S Sudhir

Friday, March 25, 2005 (Hyderabad):

The Andhra Pradesh police chief today ruled out any possibility of re-imposing the ban on the Naxal groups in the state, saying it would be counterproductive.

In an exclusive interview with NDTV, DGP Swaranjit Sen said his subordinates made the demand for a ban on Naxal groups in an emotional state of mind.

“It does not alter the basic situation. What will happen in a ban situation is that the Maoists will go into a cocoon. We won’t know more about them as we are getting to know now,” said Sen.

“Ultimately it is possible that they may strengthen themselves. So I feel a freer atmosphere is better,” he added.

Under pressure

The state’s political leadership has been under pressure from the policemen on the field who argue there is nothing in publicly branding the Naxals as enemy when they are attacking police stations and killing policemen.

“They have no principles at all. They are doing as they wish. On some pretext or the other, they are killing,” said K V Ram Narsimha Reddy, Secretary, AP Police Officers Association.

The Naxals say that a ban is, in fact, very much in place except on paper. The three Naxal emissaries – Gaddar, Varavara Rao and Kalyan Rao – are already feeling the heat.

Criminal cases have been slapped against them in connection with the attack on a police station in Guntur district this month.

The Naxal representatives have been the public face of the extremist outfits in the last 10 months. The police have indicated that the three will be arrested the moment there is concrete evidence against them.

Security guard killed in a naxal attack in Chattisgarh March 24, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Security guard killed in a naxal attack in Chattisgarh

[India News] Bastar, Mar. 24: In a naxal attack in Dantewada area in Bastar, one constable was killed and another seriously injured.

The attack came before the arrival of the Chattisgarh Governor for a festival of spring organised by tribals. The naxals attacked the two constables who were deployed at the helipad where the Governor was supposed to land.

Raj Narayan Singh, one of the two constables was killed on the spot as the naxals attacked him with a pointed weapon, and the second constable was critically injured. He was admitted to the local hospital later where the doctors declared him to be out of danger.

“There were two constables deployed here for the arrival of the Governor. The second constable is injured and he told us that 3 to 4 people came from behind and attacked both the constables. They slit the throat of one constable and attacked the other. They ran towards the jungle. We are suspecting the hand of naxals in this case but investigations are on”, said Bhavana Paje, Deputy S P, Dantewada.

“He has been attacked with a sharp weapon, some katar or a bigger knife. It could be a pointed rod also”, said Dr. Kashyap.

The naxals dressed up as tribals and attacked the constables, so that nobody could recognise them. (ANI)

Dreaded AP Naxalite finally bites the dust March 22, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Dreaded AP Naxalite finally bites the dust

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ SUNDAY, MARCH 20, 2005 01:07:12 AM ]

Sign into earnIndiatimes points

WARANGAL: Damera Vijaya Kumara Swamy, alias Yadanna, a naxalite who had survived 21 encounters and was wanted by the police for last several years, was killed along with three of his colleagues in an exchange of fire with the police here on Saturday.

Yadanna’s killing is a major blow to the Maoist movement in the area.

Saturday’s encounter came within 15 days of the Manala gunfight in Nizamabad district where another division committee secretary, Gangula Venkataswami, alias Ramesh, and eight other naxalites were killed.

The encounter took place after a special police team entered the deep forests on a tip-off. On seeing the police party, the naxalites began firing. The policemen retaliated, killing Yadanna and three others, the police said.

The police claimed that Yadanna and a band of about 20 Maoists were planning a major attack in the region and some equipment and documents seized from the encounter site were proof of this. An AK-47 rifle, 11 kit bags, an eight-mm revolver and other arms were recovered from the spot.

Andugulamedhi has in the past been known for sheltering Maoists. A red alert has been sounded in the entire district in the wake of the Andugulamedhi encounter.
Dreaded AP Naxalite finally bites the dust

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ SUNDAY, MARCH 20, 2005 01:07:12 AM ]

Sign into earnIndiatimes points

Yadanna, who had emerged as a front-ranking Maoist leader, was behind several offences in Warangal and Khammam districts. He joined the movement 14 years ago and after quitting a Jangaon-based private engineering company went underground in 1991.

The thirty-five-year-old naxalite headed the Palakurthi, Cherial and Nekkonda squads in the erstwhile People’s War and was the Jangaon area secretary and district committee member till 2003, when he was elevated as division committee secretary.

Among other offences, he was wanted in 10 murder cases and three involving attacks on police stations. Last year, he escaped a “covert operation” near the Voddugudem forests in Tadwai Mandal.

For the police, Saturday’s success is a major one and has certainly lifted their morale, for they were after Yadanna since 1997.

As for the Maoists, the incident has virtually wiped out the outfit’s leadership in Warangal and Khammam districts. Likewise, the CPI (Maoists) has also suffered setbacks in the Karimnagar-Nizamabad division.

Govt not to allow naxalites to carry arms: March 18, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
1 comment so far

Govt not to allow naxalites to carry arms

[India News]: New Delhi, Mar 16 : Government today asserted it would not allow naxalites to carry arms in Andhra Pradesh.

“We have insisted that the naxalites (in Andhra Pradesh) will not carry arms,” Home Minister Shivraj Patil said replying to supplementaries during Question Hour, He said the government would not fail in its duties in dealing with the situation.

He said there is a broad agreement with naxalites in “lot of areas” and there were differences with them only on some issues which should be removed.

Patil said keeping in view that the naxal problem is not merely a law and order problem, the Central government has adopted a multi-pronged counter strategy which takes into account the security as well as developmental aspects of the problem.

He said to enable the affected states to deal with the problem, the Centre had dispensed with charges being levied on states for deployment of additional battalions.

He said crores of rupees are being given to deal with naxalite problem in nine states and assured the states would be given enough funding, forces and other logistical support to deal with the situation. PTI

Chuckooo Sonia says the doors for talks with naxals still open March 17, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Sonia says the doors for talks with naxals still open

[India News]: Hyderabad, March 16 : In a bid to save the peace initiative from collapsing in Andhra Pradesh, Congress President Sonia Gandhi today said the government’s doors were open for talks with naxalite groups to find a lasting solution and made an emotional appeal for maintaining peace.

In the midst of escalating extremist violence, Gandhi, visiting the state for the first time after Congress coming to power last May, said the peace be given a chance and appealed to naxalite organisations to shun violence.

“Violence will not help solve any problem. Peace is essential for progress,” she told a well-attended public meeting here, rounding off her brief visit to the city which was marred by opposition protests over naming the proposed international airport near here after Rajiv Gandhi.

Gandhi, who earlier laid the foundation stone for the airport, sought to strike an emotional chord with the gathering by recalling the sacrifices made by Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi and said “we will never forget the love and affection showered by you”.

The meeting at the sprawling Parade Grounds was billed as ‘victory rally’ for the ten-month-old Congress government.

While referring to the growing extremist violence in the state, the Congress President turned emotional and said “I can understand the pain and agony of families affected by extremist violence. I lost two of my loved ones to extremism.” “Our government’s doors are open for talks with naxal groups and we will sincerely strive to solve peoples’ problems through dialogue”, she said. PTI

Ex-Naxalite shot dead by Maoists in Andhra March 17, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
1 comment so far

Ex-Naxalite shot dead by Maoists in Andhra

Press Trust of India

Hyderabad, March 17, 2005|17:49 IST

Suspecting him to be a police informer, an ex-Naxalite was shot dead by Maoists at Indupriyal village in Medak district of Andhra Pradesh, police said.

Four armed Maoists went to the house of Potharaju Sattaiah, 32, and opened fire from point blank range killing him on the spot last night, police said.

The ultras suspected him to be working as a police informer after leaving the Naxal path, they said.

Arms from ISI find their way to Naxals: Report March 14, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
1 comment so far

Press Trust of India

New Delhi, March 13, 200521:20 IST

The weapons supplied by Pakistan’s ISI to Assam’s insurgent outfit ULFA are finding their way to Naxal groups spread across 11 states, according to central security agencies.

A report prepared by the agencies said the Naxal outfits were depending on arms from ULFA, which, in turn, is supplied by ISI through certain agencies of Bangladesh, informed sources said.
They said there were inputs suggesting that ULFA was supplying weapons to Maoist groups, which were earlier equipped with traditional weapons.

The AK series rifles and Self-Loading Rifles (SLRs) were now common with the Naxal groups and even the landmine blasts carried out by these groups in Andhra Pradesh and certain parts of Bihar and Jharkhand showed a considerable advancement of technology in their armory.

Recently, police recovered AK-47 and SLRs from the Naxal leaders killed in an encounter with police in Andhra Pradesh.

ISI had in late 1990s attempted to woo Naxal groups by meeting some of its top brass in Bangladesh but it was turned down then because of ideological differences, the report submitted to the Union Home Ministry said.

The ISI with the help of Directorate General of Foreign Intelligence (DGFI) of Bangladesh have roped in ULFA, making it the front organisation for supply of arms, which the Maoist organisations are in dire need following a massive crackdown by police, it said.

We are ready to talk to Naxals: Munda March 14, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

We are ready to talk to Naxals: Munda

Indo-Asian News Service

Ranchi, March 12, 2005|16:05 IST

As he begins another term in Jharkhand, Chief Minister Arjun Munda has said he is ready to initiate a dialogue with Naxal guerrillas in the state.

“We are ready to initiate a dialogue with extremists. But the talks will take place in a framework of law and they should give up armed struggle,” Munda, a tribal leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), said in an interview.

“I appeal to the extremists to give up arms and join the mainstream of society and participate in the development of the state.”

Naxal activities have become a major headache for successive administrations in the state, and already over 510 people have been killed in Naxal violence since Jharkhand was carved out of Bihar in November 2000.

Authorities say Jharkhand is the second worst hit state after Andhra Pradesh, with the united Communist Party of India-Naxal (CPI-Naxal) active in almost all parts of the state, running a virtual parallel administration in some places.

Munda also spoke about a variety of other issues, mostly related to the economic development of the state.

“My priority is to provide good and transparent governance which will help the development of the state.

“First of all we will carry forward the work started by us. Our focus will be at different levels. How to generate employment, remove poverty, develop infrastructure and other things.”

“We will promote investment in the state so that there can be an industrial revolution to generate employment and exploit natural resources.

Naxal activities: Karnataka Oppn attacks govt March 14, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

BANGALORE, PTI:

Claiming that naxalites had stepped up attacks in the state, leader of the Opposition in the Karnataka Assembly B S Yediyurappa today said software firms in Bangalore were troubled by terror threats and are thinking of winding up operations in the state.

The law and order situation was deteriorating, particularly in Bangalore and IT companies were even thinking of migrating to other cities, because of reports of terrorists’ threat to them, he claimed.

Seeking to move an adjournment motion on the issue, the BJP leader cited reports about plans of Laskhar-e-Toiba militants to target software companies in Bangalore, which was uncovered by the Delhi police recently.Yediyurappa said naxals had also stepped up their activities in some parts of the state, particularly the Malnad region, including Chikamagalur district, spreading terror and resorting to extortion.

He said naxals were spreading their tentacles and trying to gain momentum for their activities, thereby seeking to push the state towards anarchy. But the government was not responding swiftly and adequately to their challenge.

Yediyurappa said within a few days after two of their leaders were killed in an encounter, the Naxals had struck back, killing seven policemen in Pavagada taluk of Tumkur district, throwing a major challenge to the government.Elected representatives were living in constant fear in naxal dominated regions, he charged.

Speaker Krishna disallowed the adjournment motion, but permitted the matter to be discussed.