jump to navigation

Eight Nepalese Maoists held June 30, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
8 comments

MAOISTS
MUZAFFARPUR (BIHAR), JUNE 30 (PTI)
Eight Nepalese Maoists, including a woman, were taken into police custody while they were undergoing treatment at a nursing home here today, police said.

Acting on a tip-off that some Maoist rebels from Nepal were admitted to the nursing home, police cordoned off the building at Juran Chapra in this district headquarter town in north Bihar and took into custody eight persons, DIG (Tirhut range) Gupteshwar Pandey told PTI.

Stating that all of them had their legs plastered, Pandey said x-ray examinations revealed they had gunshot injuries.

The Maoists, who initially tried to conceal their identity, admitted after sustained grilling that they were active cadres of the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist), the official said. The DIG said the activists had admitted that they were undergoing treatment at the nursing home for the last 20 days after suffering injuries in an encounter with the Royal Army in Udaypur district of Nepal some times back.
He said a few doctors and other staff of the nursing home were taken into custody and were being interrogated.

“They are under police custody,” Pandey replied when asked whether the insurgents have been arrested.

He said since the Maoists were seriously injured and were not not in a position to be removed to some other place, a strong contingent of police was guarding the nursing home.

The arrests were made close on the heels of the Maoist, police encounter in state’s West Champaran district. Twenty Naxalites were killed in police action in the aftermatch of an attack by hundreds of Communist Party of India (Maoist) rebels and their Nepalese counterparts at Madhuban Bazaar in West Champaran on June 23. Three others – two policemen and a bank security guard- were also killed in the violence, the Maoist attack and subsequent police action.

12 hardcore Maoists surrender in Chhattisgarh June 30, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Raipur | June 30, 2005 6:44:23 PM IST

Raipur, June 30 : Twelve hardcore Maoist rebels have given up arms in front of hundreds of tribal people in Chhattisgarh, police said Thursday.

The surrender took place at an anti-Maoist rally Wednesday evening in Bastar region’s Dantewada district, 382 km from here, bordering Andhra Pradesh.
Describing it as a major achievement since an anti-Maoist movement was launched in Bastar early last week, police said 12 members of a sangham, a local rebel body, laid down arms.

Police claimed that the guerrillas had announced they would join the mainstream society for the sake of development and help weed out decades-old extremism in Chhattisgarh.

Sources say several other guerrillas in Dantewada are planning to surrender next week.

For the first time, the state has deployed 11 anti-landmine tanks this month in trouble-torn Bastar and Surguja regions to counter guerrillas.

Chhattisgarh is badly affected by Maoist rebellion, with nine out of 16 districts being affected.

(IANS)

YSR for ‘hot pursuit’ June 30, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Statesman News Service
HYDERABAD, June 29. — Andhra Pradesh chief minister Dr YS Rajashekar Reddy yesterday proposed the method of “hot pursuit” to curb Maoists movement in the states most affected by such extremism. This is the first time that this method has been advocated to combat Naxalites.

In particular, Dr Reddy suggested that the permit for hot pursuit should be granted to individual state police forces so as to enable them to enter the territory of other states in pursuit of fugitives.

“The logistics and forces to be deployed should be worked out between the neighbouring states at frequent intervals for effective tackling of extremism”, he said during the inter-state council meeting.

He said that the Centre would not only fund the project, but also provide paramilitary forces. He had recently asked the Coordination Centre of the Naxalite-affected states to adopt an integrated method of sharing intelligence.

Centre neglecting naxal problem: BJP June 30, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

NEW DELHI, JUNE 29 (PTI)
Claiming that Nepali Maoists had started operating in Bihar in a big way, BJP today alleged that the Central government was neglecting the naxal problem because of “emphathy” of “certain sections” of the ruling UPA and its allies towards the extremists.

BJP’s Bihar unit chief Sushil Kumar Modi also accused the previous RJD government of the state and RJD chief Lalu Prasad of having given “protection” to the extremists.

“BJP condemns the negligent attitude of the Central government in the matter of joint attack by Indian and Nepalese Maoists in Madhuban in Bihar on June 23,” Modi told reporters here.

“The Centre is not intervening because many stalwarts in the UPA and those supporting have ideological support to and empathy for the Maoists,” he alleged. In this connection, he referred to the recent meeting a Maoist leader reportedly had with CPI(M) leader Prakash Karat.

Modi said at least 100 Nepali Maoists were among the group of over 250 people who carried out attacks at seven places simultaneously in Madhubhan.

He demanded handing over of border areas of the state to central paramilitary forces as it feared that the “increasing” extremist violence could affect upcoming Assembly polls there.

He also demanded increased patrolling by Sashastra Suraksha Bal (SSB) along the state’s border with Nepal.

Development is antidote to insurgency: Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh June 29, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Raipur | June 29, 2005 2:40:06 PM IST

Raipur, June 29 : Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh said Wednesday that massive capital investment in the underdeveloped regions of the state where Maoists hold sway is the only way to effectively check insurgency.

Encouraged by last week’s people’s “revolt” against the Maoists in Dantewada and Sarguja districts, the chief minister underlined the need to industrialise and develop these extremely backward areas.

“I strongly believe that the anti-insurgency people’s movement that began last week from Dantewada district and spilled over into other areas mostly dominated by guerrillas can weed out Maoists,” Singh told IANS.

He said some leading industrial houses had evinced interest to set up steel plants in Bastar district, one of the bastions of Maoist rebels.

Early this month, Chhattisgarh inked two memoranda of understanding (MoU) – with Tata Steel worth Rs.100 billion for a five-million tonne capacity steel plant in Bastar district and with Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative (IFFCO) worth Rs.40 billion for a super thermal power plant in Surguja.

“My speech at the 9th inter-state council meeting Tuesday in New Delhi also focused on brining money to Maoist-infested areas and speeding up development and offering employment to masses. This is the only way to contain Maoist violence,” Singh said.

He said his proposal for industrialisation of insurgency-ridden areas as a permanent solution to the decades-old insurgency also found favour among chief ministers of other Maoist-hit states like Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Jharkhand and Bihar.

(IANS)

Pseudo-Naxalite gang nabbed June 29, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Wednesday June 29 2005 10:55 IST
HYDERABAD: The Cyberabad police today nabbed an eight-member pseudo Naxalite gang, which extorted Rs 3.14 lakh from people. The gang, which included two women, was also involved in 17 offences under the Shameerpet, Vanasthalipuram, Dundigal and Medchal police station limits.

The police seized two tapanchas, one air pistol, Rs 45,000 cash and property worth Rs 60,000 from the arrested.

Disclosing this to the media, Cyberabad Police Commissioner M Mahender Reddy said G Damodar alias Praveen, a native of Godavarikhani in Karimnagar district, formed the gang in February. Damodar, a former MRPS activist, named the gang as ‘Praveen Dalam’ of Jana Sakthi.

The gang members used to summon the prospective targets to the outskirts of the city by posing themselves as Naxalites and extort money from them at gunpoint. The dalam also assaulted the victims after extorting money from them.

A police team, led by Central Crime Station inspector Sridhar Reddy and Medchal inspector Kistaiah, laid a trap and apprehended the gang at Prasanth Nagar Colony in Vanasthalipuram while it was trying to extort money from a victim.

The arrested were Damodar, N Kumara Swamy alias Prasad of Karimnagar, B Babu Rao alias Subash, T Venkatesh Goud alias Venkanna and V Sudhakar Reddy alias Sudhakar, all residents of the city, Y Sulochana Rani alias Rani of Khammam, T Vijaya Laxmi of Warangal, and G Bhupal Reddy of Rangareddy district.

During interrogation, it was revealed that the gang procured firearms from a person in Godavarikhani. The police are trying to trace the arms-supplier.

Centre dispatches Buta to Madhuban June 29, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Calls for report; SSB to coordinate CRPF, Bihar cops

EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE

NEW DELHI, JUNE 28 Bihar Governor Buta Singh has been asked to visit Madhuban, which was attacked by a band of 300 Maoists from Nepal last Thursday, and send a report to the Union Home Ministry.
The Home Ministry has also asked the SSB which guards the Indo-Nepal border to coordinate between the Central Reserve Police Force and Bihar Police to ensure there is no repeat of Thursday’s incident. SSB Director-General Himanshu Kumar has been asked to coordinate deployment and operations in Bihar.

The Ministry initially denied that Maoists from Nepal were involved in the attack, but security forces have confirmed the rebels’ role. Internal security agencies are not ruling out a joint operation by Indian and Nepalese Maoists. This was the first attack carried out by Nepalese Maoists on Indian soil.

How the Home Ministry responds will depend on Singh’s report; however, the attack has its claims to be hollow. The Ministry has all along said Indian and Nepalese Maoists are incapable of carrying out coordinated attacks on Indian soil.

It has also said that Nepal’s Maoists usually cross the border to be ‘‘treated’’. Reports from Bihar suggest that Maoists have been trying to build a base around Madhuban.

Naxals shoot Cong man, set buses on fire

Hyderabad: A Congress activist was shot dead while three state buses were torched in separate incidents in Mahaboobnagar district of Andhra Pradesh on Tuesday. Two armed Maoists went to the house of M. Raju, a Congress worker, at Timmaipalli village and forcibly took him away.

In Farahabad, Naxalites set fire to three buses in protest against a recent encounter near Sangaipalli where a Naxalite was killed. —PTI

URL:

Over 400 getting specialised Greyhounds training in AP to counter Naxal terror June 29, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Wednesday June 29 2005 15:13 IST

RAJAHMUNDRY: Indicating tougher measures to tackle the Maoist menace, Director General of Police Swaranjit Sen on Tuesday said special counter-offensive parties would be formed in the coming two months to contain Naxalites.

He told reporters here that as many as 300 SIs and reserve SIs and 160 constables were getting specialised Greyhounds training in the State. They would be formed into special parties in about two months, he added.

Admitting a change of complexion in the Maoist challenge after the re-grouping of various Naxal outfits, he said the police would deal with them as per the law.

Referring to the recent combing operations in Nallamala forest ranges, the DGP said: “We want to pass on a message that there is no place in Andhra Pradesh where the rule of law cannot reach. The long and strong arm of the law will deal with any disruptive force.”

He, however, held out an olive branch for those Naxals who intended to give up and said that they would be allowed to surrender in honourable manner.

ISI TERROR

While stating that there was a change in ISI activities in the country in general and Andhra Pradesh in particular, he said that the police were very watchful and would not lower their guard.

IG (coastal region) Gopinath Reddy and others were present on the occasion.

Rs 31 crore action plan for Naxal-infested mandals June 29, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Wednesday June 29 2005 14:36 IST
ONGOLE: The district administration has sent a proposal to the Government seeking sanction of Rs 31 crore action plan to improve infrastructure in the Maoists-infested mandals of the district.

Conducting a review with the district officials on the developmental activities initiated in those mandals, she said these funds would be spent on roads, drinking water, electricity and school buildings.

Already the officials have conducted grama sabhas in 240 villages of 12 western mandals to identify problems of those areas.

According to the inputs received by the district administration over 79 villages were severely infested by Maoists, while 66 villages are moderately dominated by them and they are gaining influence in 155 more villages.

The collector recalled that to win over the confidence of the people in those mandals already 1,038 acres land was distributed to eligible SC and ST families on January 26 and 500 acres were identified to take up land development programmes.

Efforts have also been initiated to generate employment opportunities to the youth in these villages. While 112 of them were provided employment in government sector, 1000 more were provided in the private sector.

Udaya Lakshmi said they had provided jobs as home gaurds, in spinning mills, slate industries, aqua culture, Reddy Labs and mines. While eight persons were inducted into Boarder Security Force, six were recruited into the Army.

In these mandals, Rs 1.52 crore was provided as Community Investment Fund for 240 self-help groups and 2348 groups were provided with Rs 7.44 crore loan under bank linkage schemes.

RJD-Congress Responsible for Naxal Menace in Bihar: BJP June 29, 2005

Posted by naxalwatch in Uncategorized.
add a comment

Patna: June 29, 2005

Alarmed by the sudden spate in the Naxalite activities in northern parts of the state, a Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) fact-finding team led by Sushil Kumar Modi visited the Madhuban area in East Champaran district on Monday to ascertain the situation while also demanding sealing of the porous Indo-Nepal border and deployment of central para-military forces to contain the extremist activities.

Accusing the Bihar Governor Buta Singh of being slack in dealing with the ultras who have unleashed an unprecedented reign of terror in North Bihar and some other parts of the state including Gaya in last few weeks, Modi said the situation was far worse than being reported by the Governor’s office.

“In spite of President’s Rule in the state, the government has failed to check growing menace of the extremists in the state and for this no one is more responsible than the previous Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and Congress rule,” Modi said.

“The morale of the Bihar police is at its lowest and without the help of central para-military forces, situation will only worsen,” the BJP MP admonished.

Others to accompany Modi were former Union minister Dr. C. P. Thakur, state NDA convener Nand Kishore Yadav and former BJP MP Radha Mohan Prasad.

As recalled, nearly two dozen Naxalites, two policemen and a bank security guard were killed when hundreds of Maoist Communist Center (MCC) ultras swooped Madhuban Bazaar in Motihari district on June 23